Items Similar to Victorian Marble Solitaire Game with Mahogany Board and 32 Handmade Marbles
1 of 21
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Victorian Marble Solitaire Game with Mahogany Board and 32 Handmade Marbles
This is a complete Marble Solitaire Game, having a very good Mahogany board and a complete set of 32 clay or stone handmade marbles, all dating to the 19th Century Victorian period, or slightly earlier. This board is a really good example. It is circular hand-turned, with three small bun feet to the base and made of mahogany hard-wood which has patinated to a lovely soft colour. The board has 32 equi-spaced holes with an additional one in the centre and a gallery to the outer perimeter. It comes complete with a full set of 32 early handmade playing marbles. Early marbles are very collectable in their own right and the marbles in this set are nominally spherical of 0.62 inches diameter. These marbles are hand made from a mixture of materials and colors; stone, clay (earthenware) and pottery (ceramic). Popular in the court of Louis the XIV, the game was supposedly invented by a nobleman incarcerated in the Bastille in France during the 17th century and was popular in the court of Louis XIV. It is a challenging game for the fan of strategy and skill and became one of the more popular games of the last few hundred years. To play, place all 32 marbles with one hole left unoccupied in the middle of the board. The objective is simply to remove all but one of the marbles by jumping one marble over another, similar to the game of Draughts. The marble jumped is removed to the gallery around the side of the board. This game is a great display piece in any home and can be played by young and old alike.
- Of the Period
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1860
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsThe marbles are slightly non-spherical through natural wear and use and some have slight nibbles to them. Some old scratches and marks to the board from age and use. Please see images.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 1.32 in. x Dm 9.32 in.H 3.36 cm x Dm 23.68 cm
- Diameter9.32 in. (23.68 cm)
- Seller LocationLincoln, GB
- Seller Reference NumberO 125
- Reference NumberLU990314494102
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 9-19 days.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
2020欧洲杯冠军预测A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
Our team of world-class specialists approve every seller on 1stdibs.
This distinction is for experienced sellers who continually surpass customer expectations.
1stdibs seller since 2013
Typical response time: <1 hour
Located in Lincoln, GB
More From This Seller
Marble Solitaire Game Mahogany Board 37 Handmade Clay /Stone Marbles
Antique Mid-19th Century British Victorian
Marble Solitaire Board Game, Hardwood Board with Older 19th Century Clay Marbles
Antique Late 19th Century English Folk Art
Marble Solitaire Game Hardwood Board and 33 Mainly Agate Mineral Stone Marbles
Early 20th Century French Victorian
19th Century Travelling Marble Solitaire Game with Agate Mineral Stone Marbles
Antique Late 19th Century English Victorian
You May Also Like
Hand-Painted Antique Game Board
Antique 19th Century American
Handmade Needlepoint Monopoly Game-Board
Vintage 1980s American
Dealer Marble Pin Ball Game Board
Vintage 1930s American Folk Art
Vintage Marble Chess Board with Hand Carved Black and White Onyx Chess Pieces
20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern
American Game Board
Antique Late 19th Century American Folk Art
Lindstrom's Gold Star Marble Game Board, Dated 1934
Vintage 1930s American Folk Art